or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) responded  · 

Yup, an advanced search form is on the to-do list :) We’ve recently reworked the search engine code so that it’s less fundamentally tied to the idea of text-based queries, so form-based search will be much more feasible in the future.

I like a lot about this design: even though we’d need to support more fields, keeping some of the most common fields always in view seems reasonable—though it might have to do with how the rest of the search form interface pans out.

The design is too wide, though: we must be able to support fullscreen for at least 99% of our users, but only 75% have a screen at least 1366 pixels wide—that either means that a quarter of our users would have to use a horizontal scrollbar (bad), or that the pet preview would have to be scaled down even further (also bad). Search will therefore stay in the bottom bar for the time being, no matter how the interface changes—which also has the extra bonus of keeping the two items listings far apart from each other and therefore significantly less likely to be confused. (While the current mockup looks pretty, having two adjacent, identically-styled lists with totally different functions is just begging for trouble from a usability standpoint.)

Anyway. This mockup is very helpful—thanks! An advanced search form is on our long-term to-do list rather than the short-term, though, since, well, there are a lot of things on our to-do lists >_< I’ll keep you posted. Happy Saturday!

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like only paintbrush items were affected by this particular bug (though I'm still not totally sure where it came from), so all paintbrush items have now been fixed and the species filters oughta be working again :) Thanks!

• AdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Responsive design is much more common when presenting information than when expecting hours of user interaction, and that's intentional: when reading a presentational website, users don't really care about the relative positions of the information, so long as it's reasonable. If they go to the same site again with a slightly different viewport, they're okay with the main elements being in different places, because they're only expected to read them, not interact with them.

Web apps, though, have it a bit tougher: users get very, *very* used to the relative positions of various elements, and, if they use a friend's computer, they expect the app to look almost exactly the same—maybe with some spacing optimizations, but the core elements *need* to be in their original positions, or the experience becomes inconsistent and therefore frustrating. You'll see Google doing this all over the place, for example: if the user comes in with 1024×768, they cut down on the spacing, but all the elements are in the same places. Dress to Impress behaves similarly: when given more space, we use that space, but we don't dare move the elements around—especially when the cutoff is between 1366 and 1024, since 1366-width users can run into that easily just by resizing the window for multitasking. Anyway. I'll keep it in mind, but I doubt we'll find a smooth way to pull it off.

Yeah, some species-specific wearables got broken recently and now report themselves as fitting all body types. Not sure if there's a clean way to resolve that automatically, but looking into it…

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could do a responsive site really easily with CSS, it's a lot less complicated than you'd think.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the Species:Techo type searches aren't working for me. It' just still searching everything

Feedback and Knowledge Base