I suggest you ...

let us import to our items list using a text list!

The list of items can be separated with 1 item per line.
This shouldn't be too hard to implement, right?

And it should be very useful for people making (large) wishlists, because you don't generally own the items on your wishlist, and therefore would not be able to get the data from the closet/SDB

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Siran shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) responded  · 

Hmm, interesting. Are you importing from a particular source, or would this just be an easier way to create the list in the first place?

I like the thought, but it’s a small feature that only a handful of users would probably end up using, and features need to fight both for development time and for the right to be permanently maintained :/

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kirmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I realize this is a pretty old suggestion, but it's something I would very much like as well.

I have a bit of a... thing for hoarding items on Neo, and thus I have over 100 pages of stuff in my SDB. The NC items are on the last ten pages or so. So it's a bit unfeasible for me to go through the first 100 pages of nothing in order to get to the stuff I actually want to import, lol. My TL is small, so it won't be too difficult to copy-paste each item individually. But everything is already written in a textfile, and it would have been nice to be able to simply copy-paste/import that.

If you have no intentions of implementing this suggestion, no worries, just thought I would add my own two cents (:

• AdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I'd been thinking about bulk-import direct from Infinite Closet. That's largely been a question of UI and how to really do that effectively :/

The generic importer is pretty sweet :D It can import to wherever you want—and, if the page has multiple lists on it, the importer can totally handle all those imports at once.

Really, though, part of why I've been avoiding work on the Your Items section in general is that it's darn slow. Some folks have thousands of items on their page, and loading 'em all up and printing 'em all out can cause the whole server to lag out. So, I've been doing very few small features on Your Items because I don't want to draw attention to it because I don't want to encourage people to use it until it's overhauled to a UI that's better for performance—and that overhaul looks like a real pain. Still, I might be looking at some more free time in the near future, so we'll see how that goes…

• Siran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder why my comment says "deleted" commented :P

[It said: I'd probably be importing from jellyneo. When making a wishlist I generally go through jellyneo/infinite closet, and it would be much easier to copy the names of the items I like from those pages onto a text file instead of clicking every single link and then adding them to my lists.

I've just noticed that the importing options are great for adding items you own, but it's very difficult to add any (wishlist) items you don't own.

I suggested a plain text list because I figured that would be the easiest to query to your database (and I figured that the closet/SDB importers already use these lists as an intermediate so it wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but that was just a guess since I don't actually know the dynamics behind those importers). I was originally going to ask for an option to mass import from the infinite closet (like checkboxes below each item so you can check them off and then select "Import to ___ list") but I figured that was unlikely to be implemented since it's more complicated."]

Anyway, the generic wishlist importer sounds really cool :) Do you get to choose which list it imports to too?

• AdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm. Ya know, I somehow totally forgot that I'd already built a generic wishlist importer that can handle just about any format, including petpages, JN wishlists, etc. It was never released because the UI needed significantly more polish, but I think it might be time to revisit that feature…

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd probably be importing from jellyneo. When making a wishlist I generally go through jellyneo/infinite closet, and it would be much easier to copy the names of the items I like from those pages onto a text file instead of clicking every single link and then adding them to my lists.

I've just noticed that the importing options are great for adding items you own, but it's very difficult to add any (wishlist) items you don't own.

I suggested a plain text list because I figured that would be the easiest to query to your database (and I figured that the closet/SDB importers already use these lists as an intermediate so it wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but that was just a guess since I don't actually know the dynamics behind those importers). I was originally going to ask for an option to mass import from the infinite closet (like checkboxes below each item so you can check them off and then select "Import to ___ list") but I figured that was unlikely to be implemented since it's more complicated.

Feedback and Knowledge Base