I suggest you ...

Listing Average NC Trading 'Values'

Folks on the NC trading board are always linking to miscellaneous guides based on values of particular items. Since most values are based on a "number" of caps and many times on opinion or experience, perhaps an average value can be calculated from numbers given by users of DTI.

A good metaphor/example would be the games' difficulty meters on Neopets; they can be altered by users, and the average difficulty is shown.

I believe this would come in handy for NC traders, since the values are determined by the entire community.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    helldog4890 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) responded  · 

Interesting. I’ve thought through this before, and I like the thought, though I’m hesitant to depend exclusively on crowdsourcing for this sort of information. Whereas wearables data can’t be forged, an entirely user-based system for pricing data could be much more easily gamed, and there would be strong incentive to do so if the feature actually became a widely-used resource. And, given that we’d have significantly fewer contributors than the Neopets difficulty bar, our signal-to-noise ratio could easily get way out of whack. The only way to ensure the integrity of the data would be to have a staff of users who maintain it, and I’m not in a position to do that kind of recruiting at this time :/

Regardless, I’ll keep this in mind, and I’ll let you know if someone comes up with an effective system for keeping track of this sort of data :)

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • helldog4890 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't been dabbling very recently in NC trading, but there is definitely a trend.

Let me first state that 1 'cap' value references to one Mystery Capsule in the NC mall. As these capsules (caps) first were priced an average of 250 NC, each increment of 250 NC is considered a 'cap' in value. For example, a collectible is priced at 750 NC. It would be worth 3 caps.

Items buyable in the NC Mall priced at 250 NC or under, are all usually one cap. So the majority of voters would flag buyables and such as one cap or a '1' in value. Other items, like from the NC games, are also very low in value, between 1 and 2 caps, because so many people play them. I think values also take into account how long items were available, either buyable, through an event, or something like the NC Games, or like the Nox corridor. Because of all this, values tend to stay stable for years, maybe rising in value by one cap a year, if even that.

High-end items (20+ in cap value) seem to fluctuate the most. Many items come out and sometimes replace previous popular ones (Isca wig is a good example). Honestly I can't tell you just how often those high-end items trade for, but this information can easily be found out by posting a value-check board on the NC Chat, which I wouldn't mind doing.

Maybe there could be a way to keep the vote count in a set amount of time? Say only list or keep track of votes in the past month/year or so, in the event past votes turn up irrelevant or skew the data too much.

If there's any data-gathering needed, through polls or some such like that, I really wouldn't mind gathering it and putting it up on a petpage.

• AdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we already have data on what's currently in-mall, though it's not on display because that data doesn't seem all too useful to the end user at this time :/

Interesting thought on a total vote count. I'm not too familiar with the world of NC trades—how often does an item's value change? Could the vote counts of all time end up becoming irrelevant?

• helldog4890 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would imagine a way to keep track of items currently in the mall, but I'm not familiar enough with scripting & that kind of coding to know how that kind of information is stored, etc.

One way to maintain the integrity of data is to keep a record of it perhaps, or display a history. Users of DTI would then be able to see how many people submit certain numbers. It could also be a registered-user only feature to limit troll votes even further.

Feedback and Knowledge Base