I suggest you ...

Outfit search function

I'd love to have a way to search saved outfits so I can see what other people have done with specific items. I can't customize with the Thespian background to save my life!

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    thelonetielthelonetiel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Matchu MatchusianAdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) responded  · 

I guess I should mention that, now that we have outfit thumbnails, the blocker to this feature is less about the tech and more about management: I’ve been able to keep DTI in my life because it requires very little management day-to-day, but how would that change if a part of the site needed constant moderator attention?

I think it’s doable, but I’ll need to be in a more stable position, and develop an excellent plan for how to not let the time commitment spin out of control :/ If anyone’s run a large community before, I’m interested in getting some advice on the logistics behind creating and managing this kind of team in a sustainable way :) Hit me up!

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VikkiVikki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came here to suggest this. When I would get a new species of pet, I'd go to JN and look at their rainbow pool customization where people would post their pets, it gave me lots of good ideas. I'm just talking generally have a category for customized draiks, kacheeks etc. Thanks Matchu!

• ChristineChristine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree with this idea. And with the addition of a privacy feature, those that plan for contests can remain satisfied knowing that their privacy will be maintained while those that customize for fun can have access to many new ideas.

I was actually going to post a similar idea before I saw this; I was thinking of possibly including a search for a certain species and color combination - sort of like the previews on the front page when you select a color and species to start from scratch, but with more than just one preview - to see what others have done with that certain combination. I often struggle with customization for certain colors/species so this whole concept would be significantly helpful!

• Matchu MatchusianAdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Haha, fun fact: one afternoon I threw together an "items you might like" feature, e.g., the Abominable Snowman Hat would show you items that go with it based on our outfit data. It wasn't polished enough to see the light of day, and I'm not convinced how helpful it actually is (all of the related items have "snow" in the name, surprise!), but it was a neat side project for a day :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that there is image mode this may be alot more feasable. :)

I absolutely second being able to see what other people have done with specific items. I was going to suggest something similar to this, until I saw this one. What my idea was is that on an item's Infinite Closet page, there could be links and/or thumbnails of (public) outfits using that item.

• Matchu MatchusianAdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed—if this idea were to be implemented someday, it would definitely come with an outfit privacy feature :)

Additionally, all outfits created before this feature was released would be marked private by default.

• ZoeyZoey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually don't like this idea fully.
        I think that users should be able to pick and chose which outfits they want displayed for all to view. Personally I don't want people checking out my next week's Customization Contest entries and stealing the ideas...

• thelonetielthelonetiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for looking into it! You're right, doing it with full flash previews would be a pain, even with only one per page. Maybe a compromise for the simpler version I'm looking for could include the title, species/color (image or just words) and a few sample 80x80 bitmap item images (and names) of the items used in the outfit with a link to the full swf. But that's just brainstorming - I can understand preferring to put effort into a full version instead.

Feedback and Knowledge Base