I suggest you ...

Add viewing items by dominant color.

I realize this might be hard or nearly impossible(?) But it would be a great feature to have! You click on a color and get all the items with that color in it, or with that color as the dominant color. i.e. If you pick pink, you get all the pink items.

64 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nikolai Jay CannonNikolai Jay Cannon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Matchu MatchusianAdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) responded  · 

Now that we have Image Mode and whatnot, this feature is starting to seem a lot more feasible. Still, I’m not sure on how the details of it would work. I guess one approach would be to first assume that the item has a darn similar color scheme on all pets, then look at just one of its image to decide which are the dominant colors. We’d also have to decide whether or not an item can have more than one dominant color, and what to do if there’s no real dominant color at all, like in rainbow-colored items.

Anyway. Food for thought :)

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matchu MatchusianAdminMatchu Matchusian (Admin, OpenNeo) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm… part of where we got really lucky with DTI's current user model is that all of our data is user-provided, but in such a way that folks can't prank us. They tell us *where* to find the data, but we always get it ourselves. The moment we have to start trusting users, we have to start moderating things manually, and I really don't think I'm in a position to commit to that right now :/ The programmatic solution is far more interesting, even though it requires a larger up-front time commitment: once it's done, it's pretty much done.

• StahlStahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the Anonymous commenter.

What if the users contributed to tagging items by colour? Like, say if 70% of people tagging something agree that the dominant colour is 'pink' it would be tagged as pink? And if that's possible, maybe having up to 2 or 3 colour tags. Main, secondary and highlight when applicable? Would be helpful when trying to theme an outfit to colours.

I don't know if that would be easy to implement, but it would save trying to write a program to check the main colour of something.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps "tag" each item with colors. An item with a fair amount of purple and a fair amount of green can be tagged with both colors, and appear both the search for purple items and the search for green items.
        As to items with no real dominant color, you could try something like "Other"?

Feedback and Knowledge Base