Dress to Impress

Hey there! So you’ve been using Dress to Impress? What sort of brilliant ideas have you had lately? :)

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Would it be possible to make items in the closets rearrangeable?

I have trouble because i try to make an order of items in my closet, but when new items are introduced I have to delete and re-closet items i already have so that the new item is in a good place. This takes a long time to do if you have a lot of items in one pet's closet.

Maybe you could make a seperate tab that when accessed, allows us to click and drag items up or down the closet instead of having to "uncloset" and "closet" items to get them in the order we want.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

My ideal behavior here would be that DTI figures out how you want the items organized rather than making you do it by hand. I suspect most people are interested in having them grouped by zone, yeah? I’ve built the basic prototype of that behavior, and once the CS department stops assigning me so many projects I’ll be able to give it the polish it needs :)

Are there any other automatic groupings that folks are particularly looking for? I feel like zone grouping probably covers a good 98% of use cases, so I’m wondering whether custom organization should be a priority or not. (Drag-n-drop sorting is always an option, though I’m hesitant to use it because the Neopets customization app uses dragging to mean something different, and I like to restrict UI behaviors to things that I’m sure people will actually find useful rather than confusing…)

• Add viewing items by dominant color.

I realize this might be hard or nearly impossible(?) But it would be a great feature to have! You click on a color and get all the items with that color in it, or with that color as the dominant color. i.e. If you pick pink, you get all the pink items.

64 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Now that we have Image Mode and whatnot, this feature is starting to seem a lot more feasible. Still, I’m not sure on how the details of it would work. I guess one approach would be to first assume that the item has a darn similar color scheme on all pets, then look at just one of its image to decide which are the dominant colors. We’d also have to decide whether or not an item can have more than one dominant color, and what to do if there’s no real dominant color at all, like in rainbow-colored items.

Anyway. Food for thought :)

• Add New List Setting - So Items Don't Highlight in Other's Wishlist

Is there a way to make some sort of Hidden List like the 'Private' setting, that won't highlight the items in people's Wishlist since the items aren't up for trade. Maybe a 'Closet' setting. Because I would like to be able to search through my closet when making outfits, but not have half of people's wishlist highlight and I have to see what I actually have up for trade anyway because it's all highlighted.

50 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Outfit search function

I'd love to have a way to search saved outfits so I can see what other people have done with specific items. I can't customize with the Thespian background to save my life!

44 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I guess I should mention that, now that we have outfit thumbnails, the blocker to this feature is less about the tech and more about management: I’ve been able to keep DTI in my life because it requires very little management day-to-day, but how would that change if a part of the site needed constant moderator attention?

I think it’s doable, but I’ll need to be in a more stable position, and develop an excellent plan for how to not let the time commitment spin out of control :/ If anyone’s run a large community before, I’m interested in getting some advice on the logistics behind creating and managing this kind of team in a sustainable way :) Hit me up!

• Add an option to move items in the closet

I think it would be a good time saver if there was a way to change the order of items in the closets. Maybe there could be an option that allows us to rearrange items in the closet and save the order we want.

this would make it easier to organize our closets when new items are announced.

38 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make it possible to create folders for your saved outfits so you can categorise.

I'd like to categorise my outfits on species for example so it will be easier to search for an outfit and I won't have to go through the whole list (which of course will continue to grow). =)

24 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm, the concept is straightforward, but it would make the outfit-saving UI significantly more complicated, possibly prohibitively so. In the meantime, I suppose it’s definitely possible to do rudimentary alphabetical organization, e.g. “Mynci: King Kong” or something along those lines. I’ll keep it in mind – thanks!

• Can you make Unconverted into a species?

So instead of us having to go through Backgrounds, foregrounds, trinkets, etc, we can just click "unconverted"? c:

23 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m a bit confused on the details here. Let me offer a rewording of what I think is the issue, and you can tell me if that sounds right or if I missed the mark:

“When I look for items to put on unconverted pets, I have to individually search through each of the zones that they can use (backgrounds, foregrounds, trinkets, etc.). Dress to Impress would be significantly easier to use if I could search all of those zones at once.”

Is that right? That’s definitely an interesting question—and I think it can apply to Baby pets, Mutant pets, veggie Chias, etc. as well. Marking “unconverted” as a species doesn’t seem like quite the right solution, but maybe it would be appropriate to introduce a search parameter “fits:unconverted” to search those type-3 zones. (And it might then make sense to introduce “fits:baby”, “fits:mutant”, etc., though I’d have to think…

• Add user submited keywords/tags for items.

Sort of like how like Drsloth.com handles images. Sometimes the general "theme" of an item is not always represented in it's name. They could be searched with a filter like "tag:water" or "keyword:neovian". Of course, it would take time and user submittion to actually work well.

16 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm. I’m interested in the idea of per-user tagging implemented with the existing lists feature. Community-wide tags would definitely be more helpful, but would also involve significantly more moderation, and I always try to avoid features with moderation because there’s both a large setup cost and a large recurring cost. But I’ll keep this in mind :)

• Add an option that will automatically price all the items our pets are wearing.

Basically what it is would be a button you would press once you have completed customizing your pet and it would come up with the estimate of how much it would cost you in neocash and neopoints all together.

15 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • 11 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • have a wiki for customization information

Heck, I own the site, and I'm constantly amazed by how little I know. A user-driven content area could be amazing, if there really were users willing to drive it.

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Make our closet more customisable (ie show/hide) to save on loading

When people use DTI to list all of the items that they have, it can really be really slow to load, especially if you have a lot of items.
                          If I just want to view or move one item in my closet, or even just to toggle to privacy of a list, to wait 30 seconds for loading seems like a pain.
                          At the moment I find I have DTI open in two tabs - one logged in that I do all the moving of items with, and one logged out that I just use to view my wishlist without…

11 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make a link back button for use on neopets.

I want to tell the world about dress to impress. Could you make link back button that links to a petpage that will advertise the site?

10 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting thought :) I like the idea of having a pretty button, and the idea of having a pretty informational petpage, but don’t feel qualified as a designer to make either of those. However, DTI is an open-source community project, and I’d love someone to show me their mockups to merge into the site :) Any artists feel up to the task?

• Hi! Would it pe possible if we could link to our Outfit page? Instead of having to link each customization one by one?

So, it's kind of a pain when you want to show your customization having to link one by one, wouldn't it be great if you could just link to your Outfits page, so people can see ALL your projects?

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Newly imported items

When you import your items from pets could you take us to a spot where we can sort them, right now I have to go through all of my items to find the new ones

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm. The import tools let you choose which of your lists to import ’em into, so that might help: put ’em in a temporary list and sort from there. But I agree that our current interface for moving things around is kinda meh, and one of our upcoming major goals is to improve that by a ton :)

• 10 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Search customisations by species

Search customisations by species, like if I'm looking for ideas for my woodland peo, show me the saved woodland peo customisations.

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • I think it'd be cool if you could look up already existing customizations through pet species/color.

I know some people won't want others to steal their customization ideas, so you could have an option of putting your customization as private or public. I say this because I'm having immense trouble customizing my mutant draik, and I'd love to see others ideas! I think many others would love this feature to be implemented to.

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Add a "Return to the Top" button

Some trade/wish lists are getting sooo big it's a hassle to scroll and even page back up to get back to dress to impress link. A "Top" button would be very convenient.

8 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Show if you have an item UFT that somebody is seeking.

So for the new item trade and track, I thought how handy! But really, if you want to see if there is an item somebody has of yours, you must click each item.. I think we should be notified if there is an item we want on somebody's TL and possibly if we have an item in our TL that is on their WL. I know it doesn't mean the trade would be fair but possibly link to a value guide before you mail the user. That would make the new track and trade VERY useful so you don't have…

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Yeah, this is definitely the direction we’re heading with this feature. I’m not sure how difficult that would be to build, though, both in finding matches and a helpful way of showing them to the user. So this is definitely on our roadmap :) Thanks!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Dress to Impress

Feedback and Knowledge Base