Dress to Impress

Hey there! So you’ve been using Dress to Impress? What sort of brilliant ideas have you had lately? :)

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. show which items can't be worn

For instance, the Magical Sparkling Happiness Faerie Flower cannot be worn by my UC Grey Gelert but instead of saying that when I try to add item to an outfit, it just says "No data yet".

I'd like to see it say "cannot be worn" to stop confusion. In my case, stop me buying an item!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The UC pets are a bit tricky in this case. Strictly speaking, the server can’t know that a UC Grey Gelert can’t wear this item until it sees how it looks on a non-UC Grey Gelert, then decide whether or not the zones it uses for the non-UC Grey Gelert are restricted for UC pets. That is, for all we know, the item uses a background zone for Grey Gelerts and therefore works for UC pets. Without the data, we technically can’t tell.

A human being might be able to make pretty good guesses about this sort of thing, but I don’t like the idea of guessing and I don’t like the idea of a human being manually curating the data — part of why I’m able to maintain Dress to Impress alongside a full-time student workload is because the site handles all its data automatically, and I’m hesitant to…

2. have colour specific searches

It'd be great if you could search specifically for clothing/handheld items that can only be worn by Baby/Mutant/Maraquan pets. I know most are named as such, but not all are (Sweet Dreams Crib for example), and some, such as the Maraquan Superpack items, come up when searching for Maraquan items. Having a function where you can select all colour-specific items would be brilliant :)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I like this :) This week I’ve been looking at the possibility of rebuilding the search system to be even faster, so this would probably be one of the features in that upgrade.

But here’s a search query that should do the job in the meantime:

description:“This item is only wearable by Neopets painted Baby.”

Hope this helps!

3. Show the 'types' of wearables available.

It can be difficult to know what word to use, be it shoes, hindcover, etc. I can never find a place that specifically states WHAT types there are, only that you can search by types.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve had this thought a number of times, though I’m not sure exactly where in the UI that would fit :/ Mainly it comes back to the age-old “advanced search form” request, so maybe that’s the real feature to hold out for.

In the meantime, the “type” names are the standard Neopets zone names with spaces removed. A full list is available in the dropdown in the bottom-right corner of the main wardrobe page.

Still, while that’s a decent temporary solution, it’s not really a totally satisfactory answer for the future. Any thoughts on quick, elegant ways to merge this into the existing UI?

4. add a mobile version.

Image mode works, but I can't add or remove items! I can only stare at the current customization. Sometimes I just want to customize on the go, y'know?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Funny, just today I was thinking about how the UI for a mobile version would look. It’s actually a surprisingly difficult problem, since the current UI is strongly dependent on hover buttons and a large enough screen for multitasking. A mobile app is a pretty large undertaking, and it might need to be a native Android/iOS app to really work as well as it should, so this is a far-future possibility, but remains a possibility. Thanks for letting me know that this random idea that popping into my head is something users would be interested in, too :)

5. Unwearables addable to TLs

Please add the possibility of adding unwearble nc items to our tradelist. For example: Fortune Cookies, Caps, GBCs, etc...

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting. I feel like this would be a very helpful feature for trades, but I’m a bit concerned about how it would play out on the rest of the site: since many features on the site depend on the fact that all items are wearable, quite a few areas would have to be modified to take into account the possibility of unwearables :/ Thanks for the heads-up, and I’ll be sure to let you know if this feature goes live :D

6. Have the option to send the pet you dressed up to someone.

Give an option to send your pet through email.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This was one of the JN Wardrobe features that I wasn’t so sure about. After all, it’s hard enough to get users to click Share buttons for popular social media, which is significantly more likely to be how a user might share an outfit than via email. (Currently, less than half a percent of our daily traffic comes through social media sites.) So, I’m hesitant to assume that this feature would get enough use to justify its creation, especially since emails really aren’t that hard to send manually, anyhow. I’ll let you know if anything changes on that front. Thanks :D

7. Allow us to order our lists

I think it would be very useful if we could order our lists, so that they would appear in the order that we choose, and not alphabetically...
    And bulk moving items from one list to another is a must!
    Though I think you're already working on it...
    However, I think in general you are doing great work!
    Yay for importing!!!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Yep, actively researching how to rework some of the Your Items section :) I’ll keep sorting in mind as I push ahead—thanks for the heads-up, and glad to hear you’re enjoying the site!

8. Listing Average NC Trading 'Values'

Folks on the NC trading board are always linking to miscellaneous guides based on values of particular items. Since most values are based on a "number" of caps and many times on opinion or experience, perhaps an average value can be calculated from numbers given by users of DTI.

A good metaphor/example would be the games' difficulty meters on Neopets; they can be altered by users, and the average difficulty is shown.

I believe this would come in handy for NC traders, since the values are determined by the entire community.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting. I’ve thought through this before, and I like the thought, though I’m hesitant to depend exclusively on crowdsourcing for this sort of information. Whereas wearables data can’t be forged, an entirely user-based system for pricing data could be much more easily gamed, and there would be strong incentive to do so if the feature actually became a widely-used resource. And, given that we’d have significantly fewer contributors than the Neopets difficulty bar, our signal-to-noise ratio could easily get way out of whack. The only way to ensure the integrity of the data would be to have a staff of users who maintain it, and I’m not in a position to do that kind of recruiting at this time :/

Regardless, I’ll keep this in mind, and I’ll let you know if someone comes up with an effective system for keeping track of this sort of data :)

9. Let filters be saved for multiple searches

For instance, be able to turn on "-is:NC" and "species:whatever" on until turned off would really speed up making NP customs.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting. Could you clarify this a bit? On what page are you performing these searches? I kinda feel like all pages with an item search box keep the previous search query visible, so it should be pretty trivial to keep these more constant filters at the front of the query…but I feel like I’m missing something.

10. When Importing to Petpage, Make A NC Only Version and or a Neopoints Only Version

I think than when importing to petpage/getting the code, it would be nice if we can chose to get only NC items or only Neopoint items. It would be so much easier to create a NC tradelist then using this new function.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Well, today we did push out a new feature that allows users to choose which lists to export. If you keep NC and NP items separate—which I think most people do—that oughta do something for ya.

11. Add a page with all wearable s, not all of us know all the different shirts or backgrounds!

Create a link at the top of the page for a different page that goes over the 'Dream Customization' so it doesn't delete. Have it say 'shirts', 'shoes', 'backgrounds', 'hats', etc. With a 8x8 listing of the images with the name of item underneath it. A * or some symbol should be shown to symbolize it's rarity. A button to opitionize the ones aviable to the species/color would be also ideal. ex.- Trying to customize a maraquan aisha with items popping up that aren't compatible is annoying.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about overhauling the search system, including adding what the cool kids call “faceted search” so that the various search filters are easier to discover. Most of this can be done with existing search filters. “type:shirt/dress species:acara”, for example, returns all items that fill the shirt/dress zone that an Acara can wear. For Maraquan pets and the like, there’s currently no search filter exactly for that, though. Interesting thought. Good faceted search is a really big deal to try to build, though, so that’ll have to go back-burner until I have more time—maybe this summer?

I think the most interesting issue raised here, though, is how tricky it can be to sort through which items actually fit when building a customization. Right now users can kinda cobble a solution together by adding “species:acara” or whatever, but that doesn’t consider the Maraquan/Mutant/etc. case and can be a pain.…

12. Easier viewing of items?

It's a pain to view each items 9 at a time, especially when there's over 400 pages... selecting the number to view per page would be perfect.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It’s actually not 9, exactly. It’s the number of items that will fit on one line given your current window size. More than one line would start getting clunky and take up more space than is feasible, right?

Actually, the first day that the new site design went live, it wasn’t the magic fullscreen thing we see now. Instead, there was a scrollbar, and scrolling down from the preview section would reveal a good 4 lines of items for a total of 28. However, users complained that they preferred the fullscreen style so as to avoid excessive scrolling, so we adjusted the design to match users’ preferences.

So, I like the idea of being able to view more items at once, but I’m not sure how that would be feasible while still maintaining a reasonable amount of screen real estate for the preview itself. Any thoughts on that? :/

(Also,…

13. A Neopoint only all-species search category.

Create a search category (such as you have for hats, jackets and foregrounds) that'll show only NP items which all species can wear. This will exclude backgrounds and trinkets.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Can you make Unconverted into a species?

So instead of us having to go through Backgrounds, foregrounds, trinkets, etc, we can just click "unconverted"? c:

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m a bit confused on the details here. Let me offer a rewording of what I think is the issue, and you can tell me if that sounds right or if I missed the mark:

“When I look for items to put on unconverted pets, I have to individually search through each of the zones that they can use (backgrounds, foregrounds, trinkets, etc.). Dress to Impress would be significantly easier to use if I could search all of those zones at once.”

Is that right? That’s definitely an interesting question—and I think it can apply to Baby pets, Mutant pets, veggie Chias, etc. as well. Marking “unconverted” as a species doesn’t seem like quite the right solution, but maybe it would be appropriate to introduce a search parameter “fits:unconverted” to search those type-3 zones. (And it might then make sense to introduce “fits:baby”, “fits:mutant”, etc., though I’d have to think…

16. allow a feature to add all the wearables on the pet I'm customising to 'my items' all in one go

If I've found a look that is perfect for my pet but I don't own the items, it would be great if with one click, I could add everything to 'my items', rather than copying the title of each item, searching and adding each one individually.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm…I definitely feel like there oughta be a better way to control Your Items from the wardrobe page, but I’m having trouble thinking of a good UI for it. (It’s not like we have room for more hover buttons, after all.) However, in the meantime, I do have a quick tip to make things go faster: when hovering over an item, click the letter “i” in the top right corner to open the item’s info page in a new window. From there, it should be simple to add it decently quickly. Hope this helps! :)

17. Add Petpet's to a section of the closet.

It's hard enough to find the perfect petpet to match my Neopet, but it's even harder to find one who matches the coloration of the customisation I chose. If you could add a 'closet' of all petpet color combinations, then we could see the neopet and the petpet side by side in the same window, with what I'd like my Neopet to be wearing.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make it possible to create folders for your saved outfits so you can categorise.

I'd like to categorise my outfits on species for example so it will be easier to search for an outfit and I won't have to go through the whole list (which of course will continue to grow). =)

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm, the concept is straightforward, but it would make the outfit-saving UI significantly more complicated, possibly prohibitively so. In the meantime, I suppose it’s definitely possible to do rudimentary alphabetical organization, e.g. “Mynci: King Kong” or something along those lines. I’ll keep it in mind – thanks!

19. Outfits

I think you should make it to where you can directly link to all of your outfits and other people can just click on the link to view them.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm. I like the thought, but we also need to consider privacy. Suppose I’m someone who often wins the customization contest, and I’m planning a new outfit. I’d rather it not be super easy for an idea-stealer to look up the new outfit I’m planning. So this feature, unfortunately, is larger than it seems :/ I’ll think it over – thanks!

20. Wigs don't show up on peophins properly - their original mane still shows behind it.

For example, try putting a Court Dancer Collectors Wig on a peophin of any colour - the pet's normal hair shows up behind it. Happens with both NC and non-NC items except those meant just for peophins (ex proper lady wig). Please fix!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Glad the system is automatically resolving issues once it sees them. Looks like everything’s still in order there :)

So, yeah, I guess that’s where we are now. If you happen to notice any Peophins out there wearing wigs that are glitched here, please enter the name on the homepage so we can get it resolved :) Thanks!

• Don't see your idea?

Dress to Impress

Feedback and Knowledge Base