Dress to Impress

Hey there! So you’ve been using Dress to Impress? What sort of brilliant ideas have you had lately? :)

1. Make it easier to find which items still need to be modeled on each species.

It's great that the newest items that need modeling are up on the home page, but they don't always get completely modeled before leaving the page. I try to model a lot, and there is no way to look up each species and see all the items they still need modeled. Only by looking up each item, which is more work.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’ve thought about listing the progress bar on the individual item pages, but I agree that that doesn’t solve the core problem. Under the Modeling Hub you can enter your pet’s name and see a list of items available for modeling, but, as a rather ancient feature, it’s kinda slow and not entirely accurate (for example, it thinks that Thyassa can model the Baby Pyjamas :P) Updating that is on the long-term to-do list, but is probably a good starting place for now.

Thanks for contributing! Even if it’s more roundabout than it should be, I love hearing that folks are eager to help the community :D

2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The “Big Picture” buttons is actually a toggle, so clicking it again brings you back—but I rushed on that feature and knowingly made it less obvious than it should’ve been. Maybe it should read “Small Picture” in that scenario :) I’ll take a closer look when exams are over—thanks!

3. limit items you own to separate lists (by account)

I have different closets for different accounts, but when I want to look up items I own, it gives me items from all accounts. I separated the items by accounts already, into different lists. Is it possible to only see items from one account when I'm trying to dress a pet from that account?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. View a custom lists in the wardrobe

Example: currently you can search in the wardrobe like this --

user:owns occupies:lefthand species:draik -umbrella -bouquet -shield

Add an additional search field for lists, you can do something like this instead for the same search:

userlist:weapon species:draik (or whatever custom list you have)

And you can still narrow it down from there:
    userlist:weapon species:draik occupies:lefthand

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide the option to create lists for outfits.

The lists would work pretty much the same way as lists for items. I'd love to categorize my outfits so I could separate incomplete outfits and complete outfits, serious outfits and fooling around outfits, etc.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Put outfits into categories

I would love to be able to organize my outfits that I create. I make a lot of customization plans and need to be able to organize them without pouring through a bunch of outfits to find the right ones. Can this become a possibility please?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve thought about this before, but it’s low priority right now because power users can fake it by taking advantage of alphabetical outfit names. Weak, I know, but an option :/ Thanks for keeping this on my radar :)

8. Save my pets' names

Save my pets' names so I don't have to type them in every time i open up DTI to model some stuff from someone's tradelist or whatever.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Import NC items only or let me hide certain lists

i dont want to see any NP items at all. also let me have search settings so that it defaults to is:nc for every search. c:

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add an option to move items in the closet

I think it would be a good time saver if there was a way to change the order of items in the closets. Maybe there could be an option that allows us to rearrange items in the closet and save the order we want.

this would make it easier to organize our closets when new items are announced.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Would it be possible to make items in the closets rearrangeable?

I have trouble because i try to make an order of items in my closet, but when new items are introduced I have to delete and re-closet items i already have so that the new item is in a good place. This takes a long time to do if you have a lot of items in one pet's closet.

Maybe you could make a seperate tab that when accessed, allows us to click and drag items up or down the closet instead of having to "uncloset" and "closet" items to get them in the order we want.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

My ideal behavior here would be that DTI figures out how you want the items organized rather than making you do it by hand. I suspect most people are interested in having them grouped by zone, yeah? I’ve built the basic prototype of that behavior, and once the CS department stops assigning me so many projects I’ll be able to give it the polish it needs :)

Are there any other automatic groupings that folks are particularly looking for? I feel like zone grouping probably covers a good 98% of use cases, so I’m wondering whether custom organization should be a priority or not. (Drag-n-drop sorting is always an option, though I’m hesitant to use it because the Neopets customization app uses dragging to mean something different, and I like to restrict UI behaviors to things that I’m sure people will actually find useful rather than confusing…)

13. In the item search, sort by newest items first instead of alphabetical.

It would be nice to see all the new toys TNT has released, up front, ready for playing with...o3o

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Newly imported items

When you import your items from pets could you take us to a spot where we can sort them, right now I have to go through all of my items to find the new ones

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm. The import tools let you choose which of your lists to import ’em into, so that might help: put ’em in a temporary list and sort from there. But I agree that our current interface for moving things around is kinda meh, and one of our upcoming major goals is to improve that by a ton :)

15. come up with an easy way to add closets from your side account to your main list.

When I was setting up, didn't see a way to add all the closet items sitting on my side accounts. That would be great to have one complete listing of everything!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable a 50x50 preview

I always like to see how my pet will look in the 50x50 box (the one that appears on the neoboards under the avatar), ie how much of the background is shown and all.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm. I’ve bounced this idea ‘round my head a few times, but never quite got ’round to doing it because I want it to work without requiring manual input, and I’m not sure how to automatically discover how the 50×50 preview crops a new body type.

Thanks for keeping this on my radar, and I’ll let you know if anything changes :)

17. Bi-monthly or bi-yearly account purges.

It helps lessen any current or future complications, or just to keep the database clean and running smoothly.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hmm, the database is currently just fine with all our current accounts, and I’m not sure we’ve been around long enough to have truly ancient accounts yet… is there a particular username you’re after? ;)

18. change the dress import such that it will also detect which pieces are no longer there

I love the dress import and it's great that it updates the figures for the pieces that I currently have in my closet. However, I noted that for the pieces that I had removed from my closet on Neo, the importer does not correct them and remove them from the closet page here as well. Can you add this function please? Would be great if you can! Thanks for the site btw. :)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve never really been sure how closet imports should work :/

A few scenarios in which this model would get complicated:

• The user imports their closet, then their pet starts wearing one of those items, then the user imports their closet again. Should the worn item be removed?
    • The user manually adds some items, then imports their SDB, then imports their closet. Should any of the previously added items be removed? (This can kinda be resolved by tracking how each item was added, but that feels shaky and sounds like it might lead to even more strange cases.)
    • The user has multiple Neopets accounts, and imports the items from all these closets. Should any items be removed?

That’s not to say that these problems are unsolvable, but they’re definitely complicated. I think the current solution strikes a good balance between the actual use cases on the site (it’s generally…

19. Have filters for non-/animated items, and a drop-down list for the items that can be bought at certain shops (eg. Uni Clothes, etc.)

Basically that, a filter to see which items are animated (like glimmering wigs, moving wings, etc.), and another one that filters clothes by shop (if you, for example, want to make a full steampunk-themed outfit with items only from Cog's Togs).

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hmm. My big requirement for features is that they be entirely automatable. Animation seems like it could be but it’d be tricky. As for shops, I’m not sure. I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

20. make neohome previews

it could be like this site but with neohome items instead. we could be able to put together one before buying all of the items.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve thought about it, but I don’t think demand is sufficiently high to justify the work that’d go into it :/ It’d take some seriously overwhelming demand on this request for this to happen, but I suspect that it’d be more helpful for me to focus on the DTI to-do list :)

• Don't see your idea?

Dress to Impress

Feedback and Knowledge Base